This is how the Valencian paella is made, according to Rodrigo de la Calle
The Paella Power team, a local rice restaurant that the Madrid chef has opened at the Mercado de San Miguel, shows us step by step how to make the most international Spanish rice dish
By Marta Fdez. Guadaño (text) / Carlos Onetti (video)
The new establishment that Rodrigo de la Calle, pioneer of the gastrobotany and chef of El Invernadero, has opened in Madrid is specialized in rice. From this position in the Mercado de San Miguel, they reveal the secrets of their Valencian paella for La Luna de Metrópoli.
Recipe for the perfect paella
For the paella: 300 g of rice bombita, 40 g of EVOO, 400 ml of chicken broth, 8 g of salmorreta, 0,03 g of saffron, 25 ml of white wine, 500 g of chopped chicken (cons and thighs) , 150 g of green beans, 190 g of loaves, 800 ml of vegetable broth and 120 g of sofrito. For the vegetable broth: 220 g of turnip, 100 g of onion, 250 g of leek, 150 g of carrot, 150 g of celery, 250 g of chickpeas, a sheet of kombu seaweed and 6 l of water. For the sofrito: red and green pepper, tomato, onion, garlic and fried tomato.
Step by Step
1. The ingredients of the vegetable broth are selected, which will be the bottom of the paella.
2. Put in a pot and cover with water. They are boiled, the temperature is lowered to the minimum and then cooked for 18-24 hours.
3. We queue and reserve the resulting broth.
4. Make the sofrito with red and green pepper, tomato, onion, garlic and fried tomato.
5. Separate the ingredients from the paella.
6. Put the paella on the fire with EVOO, add the sofrito, the salmorreta, the paprika and the saffron.
7. We add white wine, which we let evaporate; the green beans previously sautéed; the rice and stir to mix everything. Add the chicken and vegetable broths and the loin and bring to a boil. When the rice rises, we add the chicken -shutted before-; we raise the temperature to the maximum so that the broth evaporates and forms the socarrat (two minutes). Cover the container with another or with silver paper to make oven effect.
8. Let stand outside the fire 2-4 minutes.
Formats will continue to be born, but there will continue to be no commonly accepted rules. And it is not that the geographical link – Valencian (with chicken, rabbit and carob), Alicante (with Salmorreta) or, why not, Cantabrian … – Determine the hundreds of recipes that exist, is that in the rice universe the myriad of theories enriches its immense offer.
Read the full post here: